Remote Learning Options
April 16, 2020
Dear Action Read Member,
We hope you are keeping well during this unusual time. We’d like to share with you our plan for how we can support learning in the days and weeks ahead.
Firstly, staff has been calling learners to understand their needs and challenges. We have been speaking to tutors to gauge their availability and capacity to provide remote tutoring support. This involves the use of new technologies, so we thank you in advance for your patience!
Action Read is now offering:
1. Remote tutoring via Zoom Pro or other programs. Joanne will be in touch with pairs directly to set this up if interested, or contact her if you wish at [email protected]
2. Northstar Basic Computer Skills Certificate Training with live support from Adam on Weds 10-12 am and Thurs 1-4 pm. To reach Adam, email [email protected] or start a live chat through Facebook messenger at https://www.facebook.com/ActionRead/.
3. GED online learning groups on Monday evenings, and Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Email Adam at [email protected] for information. We may add more groups later.
4. Weekly learning activities posted on the AR blog at https://actionread.blogspot.com/ . We hope that through comments and submission of completed activities, the blog will become more interactive. We’d also like to post learner and volunteer writing here, as appropriate.
5. Brenda has created a series of Family Literacy videos which will be posted weekly on our YouTube channel https://youtu.be/DRPjfzgyHm8
Be sure to also check out the many fantastic and thought-provoking activities, videos and articles posted on Action Read Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube accounts. Remember to ‘like’, ‘follow’ and/or ‘subscribe’ to receive updates. Also check out some favourite staff resources on the ‘Learning Links’ of our website, in the areas of Blended Learning, Math, Covid-19 and more.
We realize that staying at home, washing your hands and practicing safe distancing is essential to lowering the curve of this pandemic. We also know that some people will prefer to wait things out before returning. If you have questions, need information or wish to make a referral, contact [email protected] or 519-836-2759. We will return messages within one business day.
Above all, we wish you all the best. Stay safe and we look forward to continuing to serve you.
~ Action Read Staff